Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Eating New York

Bobs went to New York awhile ago in mid May. It's about time I blogged about this trip. I went with Brenda and we stayed Vanessa's apartment (THANKS VANNY!). We did lots of touristy things, and Bobs hates being a tourist. Although there were many rainy days, there were plenty of beautiful sunny days where we could have a picnic in Central Park. We did and Brenda got beaned by a football.

Ok, straight to the highlight of my trip. Bobs went to Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay's flagship restaurant. Oh my, was this the best meal I've EVER had.


Bobs started off with the Sea Scallop Tomatillo Tangerine Ceviche. This was a subpar ceviche, didn't knock my socks off.


Following that, I ordered the Pork Tenderloin and it had an amazing tamale. The reduced sauce underlying the pork was sweet and smokey.



Vanessa ordered the Lamb Porterhouse Chops with Cilantro Mint Chimichurri sauce. This was by far my favorite dish. The chimichurri sauce was absolutely ethereal.


Michael, Vanny's boyfriend, ordered the filet mignon, this was alright.


Brenda ordered the Ancho Chile Honey Glazed Salmon. This sauce was spectacular. Sweet with a subtle spice to it. I don't really like to eat anything with heat, but this was awesome.


Lastly, we ordered the Dessert Sampler. This was a $50 plate from what I remember, which has a flurry of Bobby Flay's desserts. I normally don't like to order desserts, but I would highly recommend getting this. These desserts were VERY light, which made it pleasant, I don't like things that are too sweet. The profiterales had this surprising spicy chocolate sauce. My head rose up like a meer kat when I tasted it. My favorite of them all was the Warm Bread Pudding with the Caramel Rum Sauce. I guess I liked this the best because of the rum, but the bread pudding was incredible.

I look forward to going back to New York to try Bobby Flay's other restaurants. I actually tried to encourage my friends to come with me to WD-50, Wylie Dufresne's restaurant which introduces molecular gastronomy. My friends were afraid of my descriptions though, which involved asparagus foam.

No comments: